Scene 9

Salieri sits eating. A butler serves him goat's milk to drink.

SALIERI
I don't think you understand me,

V1
Majesty, I did.

SALIERI
Believe me, it was a most agonizing decision.
But finally, I simply could not recommend Herr Mozart.
For the royal appointment

V2
Why not?

SALIERI
Well, I made some inquiries in
a routine way. I was curious to know
why he had so few pupils. It is rather
alarming.

V1
Oh?

SALIERI
I don't like to talk against a fellow musician.

V2
Of course not.

SALIERI
I have to tell you, Mozart is not
entirely to be trusted alone with young ladies.

V1
Really?

SALIERI
As a matter of fact, one of my own
pupils - a very young singer - told
me she was - er - well!

V2
Yes?

SALIERI
Molested, Twice, in the
course of the same lesson.
A pause.

V1 AND V2
Ah-ha. Well. There it is.

SERVANT
Sir, there is a Herr Mozart waiting
for you in the salon.

Mozart is waiting for Salieri, holding a portfolio. Salieri approaches him nervously. Mozart stands


SALIERI
Herr Mozart, what brings you here?

MOZART
Your Excellency, you requested some specimens of my work. Here they are.
I don't have to tell you how much need your help. I truly appreciate
your looking at these. I have pressures on me - financial pressures.
As you know, I'm a married man now.

SALIERI
So you are. How is your pretty wife?

MOZART
She is well. She is - well, actually,
I'm about to become a father! She only told me last night. You are the
first to know.

SALIERI
I'm flattered. And congratulations to you, of course.

MOZART
So you see, this post is very important to me right now.

Salieri looks at him in distress.

SALIERI
Why didn't you come to me yesterday, Mozart? This is a most painful
situation. Yesterday I could have helped you. Today, I can't.

MOZART
Why? Here is the music. It's here. I am submitting it humbly. Isn't
that what you wanted?

SALIERI
I have just come from the palace. The post has been filled.

MOZART
Filled? That's impossible! They haven't even seen my work. I need
this post. Please, can't you help me? Please!

SALIERI
My dear Mozart, there is no one in the world I would rather help, but
now it is too late.

MOZART
Whom did they choose?

SALIERI
Herr Sommer.

MOZART
Sommer? Herr Sommer? But the man's a fool! He's a total mediocrity.

SALIERI
No, no, no: he has yet to achieve mediocrity.

MOZART
But I can't lose this post, I simply can't! Excellency, please. Let's go
to the palace, and you can explain to the Emperor that Herr Sommer is
an awful choice. He could actually do musical harm to the Princess!

SALIERI
An implausible idea. Between you and me, no one in the world could do
musical harm to the Princess Elizabeth.

Salieri offers him a glass of white dessert and a spoon.

MOZART
Look, I must have pupils. Without pupils I can't manage.

SALIERI
You don't mean to tell me you are living in poverty?

MOZART
No, but I'm broke. I'm always broke.
I don't know why.

SALIERI
It has been said, my friend, that you are inclined to live somewhat
above your means.

MOZART
How can anyone say that? We have no cook, no maid. We have no footman.
Nothing at all!

SALIERI
How is that possible? You give concerts, don't you? I hear they are
quite successful.

MOZART
They're stupendously successful. You can't get a seat. The only problem
is none will hire me. They all want to hear me play, but they won't let
me teach their daughters. As if I was some kind of fiend. I'm not a
fiend!

SALIERI
Of course not.

MOZART
Do you have a daughter?

SALIERI
I'm afraid not.

MOZART
Well, could you lend me some money till you have one? Then I'll teach her for free. That's a promise. Oh, I’m sorry. I'm being silly. Papa's right I should put a padlock on my mouth. Seriously, is there any chance you could manage a loan? Only for six months, eight at most. After that I'll be the richest man in Vienna. I'll pay you back double. Anything. Name your terms. I'm not joking. I'm working on something that's going to explode like a bomb all over Europe!

SALIERI
Ah, how exciting! Tell me more.

MOZART
I'd better not. It's a bit of a secret.

SALIERI
Come, come, Mozart; I'm interested. Truly.

MOZART
Actually, it's a big secret. Oh, this is delicious! What is it?

SALIERI
Cream cheese mixed with granulated sugar and suffused with rum.
MOZART
Ah. Italian?

SALIERI
Forgive me. We all have patriotic feelings of some kind.

MOZART
Two thousand, two hundred florins is all I need A hundred? Fifty?

SALIERI
What exactly are you working on?

MOZART
I can't say. Really

SALIERI
I don't think you should become known in Vienna as a debtor, Mozart.

MOZART
If a man cannot earn he must borrow.

Mozart bursts into a wild giggle.
Salieri sits at his desk. He holds in his hand the small black party mask





OLD SALIERI (V.O.)

That was not Mozart laughing,
That was God. That was God!
God laughing at me through that obscene giggle, Go on, Signore.
Laugh. Rub my nose in it. Show my mediocrity for all to see.
You wait! I will laugh at You! Before I leave this earth, I will laugh at You!

No comments: