Scene 12

OPERA HOUSE
Salieri conducting the last scene from King of Ormus
The act comes to an end.
A crowd of people rings Salieri at a respectful distance.
The Emperor is holding out the Civilian Medal and Chain.

JOSEPH
I believe that is the best opera yet written, my friends. Salieri, you
are the brightest star in the musical firmament.
You do honour to Vienna and to me.

Salieri bows his head. Joseph places the chain around his neck. The crowd claps. Salieri makes to kiss his hand, but Joseph restrains him, and passes on. Cavalieri, smiling adoringly, gives him a deep curtsey, and he raises her up.

The crowd all flock to Salieri with cries and words of approval. All want to shake his hand. They tug and pat him. Mozart stands there.

SALIERI
Mozart. It was good of you to come.

MOZART
How could I not?

SALIERI
Did my work please you?

MOZART
How could it not, Excellency?

SALIERI
Yes?

MOZART
I never knew that music like that was possible.

SALIERI
You flatter me.

MOZART
Oh no! One hears such sounds and what can one say, but - Salieri!
Salieri smiles

OLD SALIERI (V.O.)

What was this? I never saw him excited
before by any music but his own.
Could he mean it?
Would he actually tell me my music
had moved him? Was I really going to
hear that from his own lips?

No comments: