Scene 8

Int. old Salieri’s room - night – 1823

OLD SALIERI

Yes, Father. Yes! So much for my vow of chastity
What did it matter?
Good, patient, hard-working, chaste -
what did it matter? Had goodness
made me a good composer? I realized
it absolutely then - that moment:
goodness is nothing in the furnace
of art. And I was nothing to God.

VOGLER
(Crying out)
You cannot say that!

OLD SALIERI
No? Was Mozart a good man?

VOGLER
God's ways are not yours. And you
are not here to question Him. Offer
him the salt of penitence. He will
give you back the bread of eternal
life. He is all merciful. That is
all you need to know.

OLD SALIERI
All I ever wanted was to sing to
Him. That's His doing, isn't it? He
gave me that longing - then made me mute. Why? Tell me that.
If He didn't want me to serve Him with music, why
implant the desire, like a lust in my body, then deny me the talent?
Go on, tell me! Speak for Him!




VOGLER
My son, no one can speak for God.

OLD SALIERI
Oh? I thought you did so every day.
So speak now. Answer me!

VOGLER
I do not claim to unravel the mysteries. I treasure them.
As you should.

OLD SALIERI
(Impatiently)
Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Always
the same stale answers!

(Intimately to the priest)
There is no God of Mercy, Father.
Just a God of torture

OLD SALIERI
I sat there not knowing whether the girl
would return or not. I prayed as I'd never prayed before.
Evening came to that room.

SALIERI
Dear God, enter me now. Fill me with one piece of true music. One piece
with your breath in it, so I know that you love me. Please. Just one.
Show me one sign of your favour, and I will show mine to Mozart and his
wife. I will get him the royal position, and if she comes, I'll receive her with all respect and send her home in joy. Enter me! Enter me! Please!

Long, long silence. Salieri stares at the cross. We hear a knocking at the door. A servant
appears.
SERVANT
That lady is back, sir.

The Servant bows and leaves.

SALIERI
Show her in.

CONSTANZE
Well, I'm here. My husband has gone to a concert.
He didn't think I would enjoy it.
A pause.
SALIERI

I’ll ring if we require anything. Thank you.
A pause.

CONSTANZE
I do apologize for this afternoon.
I behaved like a silly girl.

SALIERI
……………

CONSTANZE
It's a charming room. I love these candlesticks.
Were they here earlier?
I didn't notice them I suppose I was too nervous.

SALIERI
……………

CONSTANZE
Wolfi was given some candlesticks
by King George in England, but they
were only wood.

SALIERI
……………

CONSTANZE
Well, it's much too good for every
day. I keep saying to Wolfi, don't
be so extravagant. Presents are
lovely, but we can't afford them.
It doesn't do any good. The more I
tell him, the more he spends.

SALIERI
………….

She picks up the portfolio.

CONSTANZE
Do you still want to look at this?
Or don't we need to bother anymore?
Where shall we go?

As she talks, she extinguishes the candles in a pair of Venetian candelabra and subsequently other candles around the room.

Should we stay here? Why not?

Constanze starts to unveil, watched by the horrified Salieri.
Suddenly he cries out.

SALIERI
Go! Go! Go!

He snatches up the bell and shakes it frantically, not stopping until the two servants appear at the door.

CONSTANZE
You cheat! You cheat! You damn cheat!

SALIERI
Show this woman out!

Wildly, she picks up the candelabrum and throws it at them. It shatters on the floor.
Suddenly she runs at him. He grabs her arms, shakes her violently and hurls her on the floor.
She picks herself and runs from the room.

SALIERI
From now on, we are enemies, You and I!
Because You will not enter me, with all my need for you; because You
scorn my attempts at virtue; because You choose for Your instrument a
boastful, lustful, smutty infantile boy and give me for reward only the
ability to recognize the Incarnation; because You are unjust, unfair,
unkind, I will block You! I swear it! I will hinder and harm Your
creature on earth as far as I am able. I will ruin Your Incarnation.

What use after all is Man, if not to teach God His lessons?

The cross flames up and disintegrates. Salieri stares at it.

No comments: