Scene 17



The Overture to The Magic Flute begins grandly. To the music of the slow introduction, we see:
Mozart starts to dance like a child. There is a gentle knocking at the door. The music fades down. Mozart opens the door. Before him stands the masked stranger.


MOZART

I don't have it yet. It's not finished. I'm sorry, but I need more time.

SALIERI
Are you neglecting my request?

MOZART
No, no! I promise you, I'll give you a wonderful piece the best I ever can!

Constanze comes, Nervously, Mozart indicates her.

MOZART
This is my wife, Stanzi. I've been sick, but I'm all right now. Aren’t I?

CONSTANZE
Oh yes, sir. He's all right. And he's working on it very hard.

MOZART
Give me two more weeks. Please.
Salieri contemplates them both.
SALIERI
The sooner you finish, the better your reward. Work! He turns and goes down the stairs. Mozart shuts the door; he closes his eyes in fear.

CONSTANZE
Wolfi, I think you really are going mad. You work like a slave for that idiot actor who won't give you a penny and here. This is not a ghost! This is a real man who puts down real money. Why on earth don't you finish it? He will not look at her or reply.

CONSTANZE
Give me one reason I can understand.

MOZART
I can't write it!

CONSTANZE
Why not?

MOZART
It's killing me.
He looks at her suddenly.

CONSTANZE
No, this is really awful. You're drunk, aren't you? Be honest - tell
me - you've been drinking. And I'm so stupid I stay here and listen to you!


Suddenly she starts to cry.


CONSTANZE
It's not fair! I worry about you all the time. I try to help you all I can and you just drink and talk nonsense and - and frighten me! It’s not fair!Her tears flow. Mozart looks at her helplessly.
MOZART
Go back to bed.

CONSTANZE
Please! Let me sit here... I promise I won't say all word. I'll just be here, so you know no one's going to hurt you. Please, let me stay here with you Please! Please!


She sits down tearfully, staring at him.

No comments: