Scene 7

SALIERI'S MUSIC ROOM

Salieri is giving a lesson to a girl student, who is singing the Italian art song, Caro Mio Ben.
There is a knock on the door.

SALIERI
Yes.

A SERVANT enters.
SERVANT
Excuse me, sir; there is a lady who insists on talking to you.

SALIERI
Who is she?

SERVANT
She didn't say. But she says it’s urgent.

SALIERI
(To the pupil)
Excuse me, my dear.

Constanze closely veiled, holding a portfolio stuffed with manuscripts. Enters the salon and drops him a shy curtsey.

CONSTANZE
Excellency!

SALIERI
Madame. How can I help you?

Shyly, she unveils.

SALIERI
Frau Mozart?

CONSTANZE
That's right, Your Excellency. I've come on behalf of my husband.
I'm bringing some samples of his work.

SALIERI
How charming. But why did he not come himself?

CONSTANZE
He's terribly busy, sir.

SALIERI
I understand.

He takes the portfolio and puts it on a table.

SALIERI
I will look at them, of course, the moment I can.
It will be an honor.
Please give him my regards.

CONSTANZE
Would it be too much trouble, sir, to ask you to look at them now?
While I wait

SALIERI
I'm afraid I'm not at leisure this very moment. Just leave them with
me. I assure you they will be quite safe.

CONSTANZE
I - I really cannot do that, Your Excellency.
You see, he doesn't know I'm here.

SALIERI
Really?

CONSTANZE
My husband is a proud man, sir.
He would be furious if he knew I'd come.
SALIERI
Then he didn't send you?

CONSTANZE
No sir. This is my own idea.

SALIERI
I see.

CONSTANZE
We're desperate, sir.

SALIERI
What?

CONSTANZE
We’ve no money and no prospects of any. That’s the truth.


SALIERI
I don’t understand. He gives many public concerts.

CONSTANZE
They don’t pay enough. What he needs is pupils.
Illustrious pupils
His father calls us spendthrifts, but that is unfair.
I mange as well as anyone could.
There’s simply not enough.

SALIERI
How can I help you?

CONSTANZE
My husband needs security, sir, if only he could find regular employment,
everything would be all right. Is there nothing at court?

SALIERI
Not at the moment

CONSTANZE
The princess Elizabeth needs a tutor.

SALIERI
Really? I hadn’t heard

CONSTANZE
One word from you and the post would be his.
We’d be forever indebted.


A short pause

SALIERI
Let me offer you some refreshment.
Do you know what these are?

He indicates a dish piled high with glazed chestnuts.

SALIERI
Cappezzoli di Venere. Nipples of Venus
Roman chestnuts in brandied sugar. Won't you try one?
They're quite surprising.

He offers her the dish. She takes one and puts it in her mouth. He watches carefully.

CONSTANZE
Just one…… Ta….. Very much….. Oh! Wonderful
He takes one himself.

SALIERY
Have another

CONSTANZE
Thank you very much, Your Excellency.

SALIERI
Don't keep calling me that. It puts me at such a distance.
I was not born a Court Composer, you know.
I'm from a small town, just like your husband.

He smiles at her. She takes another chestnut.

SALIERI
Are you sure you can't leave that music, and come back again?
I have other things you might like.

CONSTANZE
That's very tempting, but it's impossible, I'm afraid.
Wolfi would be frantic if he found those were missing.
You see, they're all originals.

SALIERI
Originals?

CONSTANZE
Yes.
A pause. He puts out his hand and takes up the portfolio from the table. He opens it. He looks at the music. He is puzzled.
SALIERI
These are originals?

CONSTANZE
Yes, sir. He doesn't make copies.

The old man faces the Priest.

OLD SALIERI (V.O)
Astounding! It was actually beyond belief. These were first and only
drafts of music yet they showed no corrections of any kind. Not one.
Do you realize what that meant?

He'd simply put down music already finished in his head. Page after
page of it, as if he was just taking dictation. And music finished as no
music is ever finished.

Displace one note and there would be diminishment. Displace one phrase,
and the structure would fall. It was clear to me. That sound I had heard
in the Archbishop's palace had been no accident. Here again was the very
voice of God! I was staring through the cage of those meticulous ink strokes
at an absolute, inimitable beauty.

We hear the tremendous Qui Tollis from the Mass in C Minor. It seems to break over him like a wave and, unable to bear any more of it, Salieri slams the portfolio shut. Instantly, the music breaks off, reverberating in his head. He stands shaking, staring wildly. Constanze gets up,
perplexed.

CONSTANZE
Is it no good?
A pause.
SALIERI
It is miraculous.

CONSTANZE
Oh yes. He's really proud of his work.

CONSTANZE
So, will you help us?

SALIERI
Tomorrow night I dine with the Emperor.
One word from me recommending your husband as tutor to the Princess Elizabeth and that invaluable post is his.

CONSTANZE
Oh, thank you, Excellency!

Overjoyed, she kisses his hand. He raises her, and then clasps her to him clumsily. She pushes herself away.

SALIERI
Come back tonight.

CONSTANZE
Tonight?

SALIERI
Alone.
CONSTANZE
What for?

SALIERI
Some service deserves service in return. No?

CONSTANZE
What do you mean?

SALIERI
Isn't it obvious?

They stare at one another

SALIERI
It's a post all Vienna seeks. If you wish it for your husband, come
tonight.

CONSTANZE
I'm a married woman!

SALIERI
Then don't. It's up to you. Not to be vague, that is the price.

Constanze goes down on her knees and starts picking up the music from the floor.
She lingers, Tries to speak, Cannot and goes out quickly.

SALIERI
Yes

Salieri turns in ferment to the audience.

SALIERI

Fiasco. Fiasco. The sordidness of it
The sheer swearing sordidness
Worse than if I’d actually done it.
To be that much in sin and feel so ridiculous as well.
Nobile Nobile Salieri.
What had he done to me, this Mozart.
Before he came, did I behave like this?
Toy with adultery? Blackmail woman?
Because of him …..It was all going…slipping…..growing rotten.

No comments: