Scene 4



MUSIC ROOM IN SALIERI'S APARTMENT


We see a marble mantelpiece above which hangs a handsome cross in olivewood, bearing the figure of a severe Christ. Opposite this image sits Salieri. There is a knock at the door.


SALIERI
Graze, Signore.


A servant admits LORL, a young lower-class girl, who appears carrying a basket in which is a box covered with a napkin. She has just come from the baker's shop.


SALIERI
Ah! Here she comes. Fraulein Lorl, Good morning.

LORL
Good morning, sir.

SALIERI
What have you got for me today?
Let me see.

Greedily he un-wraps the napkin and lifts the lid on the box.


SALIERI
Ah-ha! Siena macaroons – my favorites. Give my best thanks to the baker.

LORL
I will, sir.
He takes a biscuit and eats.

SALIERI
Thank you. Are you well today?
Fraulein Lorl?
LORL
Yes, thank you, sir.

SALIERI
Bene! Bene!


She gives a little curtsey, flattered and giggling and is shown out. Salieri turns back to his work, chewing. He plays through a complete line of the march. He smiles, pleased with the result.


SALIERI
Grazie, Signore.

SALIERI
Grazie, Signore.


There is a knock at the door. He does not hear it, but sits on. Another knock, louder


SALIERI
Yes?
Lorl comes in.
LORL
Madame Cavalieri is here for her lesson, sir.

SALIERI
Bene.


KATHERINA CAVALIERI, a young, high-spirited soprano of twenty is brought in, dressed in a fashionable dress and wearing on her head an exotic turban of satin, with a feather. Lorl exits.


CAVALIERI
Maestro.

SALIERI
Good morning.

CAVALIERI
(Posing, in her turban)

Well? How do you like it? It's Turkish. My hairdresser tells me
everything's going to be Turkish this year!

SALIERI
Really? What else did he tell you today? Give me some gossip.

CAVALIERI
Well, I heard you met Herr Mozart.

SALIERI
Oh? News travels fast in Vienna.

CAVALIERI
And he's been commissioned to write an opera. Is it true?

SALIERI
Yes.

CAVALIERI
Is there a part for me?

SALIERI
No.

CAVALIERI
How do you know?

SALIERI
Well even if there is, I don't think you want to get involved with this one.

CAVALIERI
Why not?

SALIERI
Well, do you know where it's set, my dear?

CAVALIERI
Where?
SALIERI
In a harem.

CAVALIERI
What's that?

SALIERI
A brothel.

CAVALIERI
Oh!

SALIERI
A Turkish brothel.
Come. Let’s begin

CAVALIERI
Turkish? Oh, if it's Turkish, that's different. I want to be in it.

SALIERI
My dear, it will hardly enhance your reputation to be celebrated throughout
Vienna as a singing prostitute for a Turk
He seats himself at the forte-piano.

CAVALIERI
Oh. Well perhaps you could introduce us anyway.

SALIERI
Perhaps.

He plays a chord. She sings a scale, expertly. He strikes another chord. She starts another scale, then breaks off.

CAVALIERI
What does he look like?

SALIERI
You might be disappointed.

CAVALIERI
Why?

SALIERI
Looks and talent don't always go together, Katherina.
Shall we continue?

CAVALIERI
(Airily)
Looks don't concern me, Maestro.
Only talent interests a woman of taste.

He strikes the chord again.


OLD SALIERI

Understand, I was in love with the girl. Or at least in lust, I wasn't a saint.
It took me the most tremendous effort to be faithful to my vow.
I swear to you I never laid a finger on her. All the same, I couldn’t bear to
think of anyone else touching her - least of all the Creature.
At that moment I knew beyond any doubt. He'd had her.
The Creature had had my darling girl.

THE OPERA HOUSE.

The heroine of the opera (Cavalieri) is in full cry addressing the Pasha with scorn and defiance.
The house is full. Watching the performance - which is conducted by Mozart

CAVALIERI
Since you are determined, since you
are determined, Calmly, with no ferment,
Welcome - every pain and woe.
Bind me then - compel me! Bind
me then - compel me! Hurt me. Break me! Kill me!
At last I shall be freed by death!

The brilliant Turkish finale of Seraglio bursts over us.
Mozart is conducting with happy excitement. The curtains fall.
Much applause

SALIERI
There she was. I had no idea where they met - or how – yet there she stood on stage for all to see. Showing off like the greedy songbird she was. Ten minutes of ghastly scales and arpeggios, whizzing up and down like fireworks.

(Singing)
Be freed at last by death! Be freed
at last by death! At last I shall be
freed By! Death!

It was incomprehensible. What was God up to? Here I was denying all my natural lust in order to deserve God's gift and there was Mozart indulging his in all directions - even though engaged to be married! and no rebuke at all! Was it possible I was being tested? Was God expecting
me to offer forgiveness in the face of every offense, no matter how painful? That was very possible. All the same, why him? Why use Mozart to teach me lessons in humility? My heart was filling up with such hatred for that little man. For the first time in my life I began to know really violent thoughts. I couldn't stop them. Every day, sometimes for hours I would pray!

SALIERI + OS

Please! Please! Send him away, back to Salzburg.
For his sake as well as mine

No comments: