Scene 6

Von Strack sits stiffly behind his gilded desk. Mozart stands before him, trembling with anger.

MOZART
What is this, Herr Chamberlain?

VON STRACK
What is what?

MOZART
Why do I have to submit samples of my work to some stupid committee?

VON STRACK
I have asked his Majesty to suggest a suitable musical instructor for Princess Elizabeth

MOZART
Just to teach a sixteen-year-old girl.

VON STRACK
Because His Majesty wishes it

MOZART
Is the Emperor angry with me?

VON STRACK
On the contrary

MOZART
Then why doesn't he simply appoint me to the post?

VON STRACK
Mozart, you are not the only composer in Vienna.

MOZART
No, but I'm the best.

VON STRACK
A little modesty would suit you better.

MOZART
Who is on this committee?

SALIERI
Kapellmeister Bonno, Count Orsini Rosenberg and myself.

MOZART
Naturally, the Italians! Of course! Always the Italians!

VON STRACK
Mozart -

MOZART
They hate my music. It terrifies them. The only sound Italians
understand is banality. Tonic and dominant, tonic and dominant, from
here to Resurrection!

(Singing angrily)
Ba-ba! Ba-ba! Ba-ba! Ba-ba! Anything
else is morbid.

VON STRACK
Mozart -

MOZART
Italians are musical idiots and you want them to judge my
music!


SALIERI
Look, young man, the issue is simple.
If you want this post, you must submit your stuff in the same way as all
your colleagues.

MOZART
Must I? Well, I won't! I tell you straight: I will not!
I will not!
I will not! ……………

No comments: