Scene 15 ~

MOZART'S APARTMENT

Mozart sits working. He pours wine down his throat, spilling it, and grimaces as it hits his stomach. All around him are manuscripts.

There is a banging at the front door. Mozart does not hear it. The knocking is repeated again.

CONSTANZE
Wolfi. Wolfi!

Constanze moves to open it.


MOZART
No. Don't answer it!

CONSTANZE
Why?

Mozart springs up. He is clearly terrified.

MOZART
Tell him I'm not here. Tell him I'm
working on it. Come back later.

He runs out of the room and shuts the door. Schikaneder enters.

SCHIKANEDER
Am I interrupting something?

CONSTANZE
Not at all.

SCHIKANEDER
(Peering into he room)
Where's our friend?

CONSTANZE
He's not in. But he's working on it.
He said to tell you.

SCHIKANEDER
I hope so. I need it immediately.

He sees he manuscript on the table, and goes to it eagerly.

SCHIKANEDER
Is this it?

He picks up a page without waiting for a reply.

SCHIKANEDER
What the devil is this? Requiem Mass?
Does he think I'm in the funeral business?

Mozart enters.
MOZART
Leave that alone!

SCHIKANEDER
Wolfi!

MOZART
Put it down!

SCHIKANEDER
What is this?

MOZART
Put it down, I said! It's nothing for you.

SCHIKANEDER
Oh! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! What have you got for me? Is it finished?

MOZART
Yes.

SCHIKANEDER
Can I see it?

MOZART
No.

SCHIKANEDER
Why not?

MOZART
Because there's nothing to see

SCHIKANEDER
Look, I asked you if we could start rehearsal next week and you said
yes.

MOZART
Well, we can.

SCHIKANEDER
So let me see it. Where is it?

MOZART
Here. It's all right here, in my noodle. The rest is just scribbling.
Scribbling and bibbling. Bibbling and scribbling.
Would you like a drink?

Schikaneder suddenly grabs his lapels.


SCHIKANEDER
Look, you little clown, do you know
how many people I've hired for you?
Do you know how many people are waiting?

CONSTANZE
Leave him alone!

SCHIKANEDER
I'm paying these people. Do you realize that?

CONSTANZE
He's doing his best.

SCHIKANEDER
I'm paying people just to wait for you. It's ridiculous!

CONSTANZE
You know what's ridiculous?
Your libretto, that's what's ridiculous.
Only an idiot would ask Wolfi to work on that stuff!

SCHIKANEDER
Oh yes? And what's so intelligent about writing a Requiem?

CONSTANZE
Money! Money!

SCHIKANEDER
You're mad! She's mad, Wolfi.

CONSTANZE
Oh yes, and who are you? He's worked
for Kings. For the Emperor
(Shouting)
Who are you?

Schikaneder suddenly takes Mozart by the arms, and speaks to him with intense appeal.

SCHIKANEDER

Listen, Wolfi. Write it. Please.
Just write it down.
On paper It’s no good to anyone in your head. And fuck the Death Mass.

No comments: