Scene 1


OLD SALIERI'S ROOM - LATE AFTERNOON


It contains a bed, a table with candles, chairs, a small forte-piano. As Vogler enters, Old Salieri is sitting in a wheel-chair, looking out the window. The priest closes the door quietly behind him.

VOGLER
I am Father Vogler.
VOGLER
Herr Salieri?


Old Salieri turns around to look at him.


OLD SALIERI
What do you want?

VOGLER
I am Father Vogler. I am a Chaplain here. I thought you might like to talk to someone.
OLD SALIERI
About what?

VOGLER
You tried to take your life. You do remember that, don't you?

OLD SALIERI
So?
VOGLER
In the sight of God that is a sin.

OLD SALIERI
What do you want?

VOGLER
Do you understand that you have sinned? Gravely.

OLD SALIERI
Leave me alone.

VOGLER
I cannot leave alone a soul in pain. Offer me your confession. I can offer you God's forgiveness.


OLD SALIERI
I do not seek forgiveness.

VOGLER
My son, there is something dreadful on your soul. Unburden it to me. I'm here only for you. Please talk to me.

OLD SALIERI
Do you know who I am? You never heard of me, did you?

VOGLER
That makes no difference. All men are equal in God's eyes.

OLD SALIERI
Are they?

A very long pause
How well are you trained in music?

VOGLER
I know a little. I studied it in my youth.

OLD SALIERI
Where?

VOGLER
Here in Vienna.

OLD SALIERI
Then you must know this.

He propels his wheelchair to the forte-piano, and plays an unrecognizable melody.

VOGLER
I can't say I do. What is it?

OLD SALIERI
I'm surprised you don't know. It was a very popular tune in its day. I wrote it. How about this?

He plays another tune.

OLD SALIERI
This one brought down the house when we played it first.

He plays it with growing enthusiasm.


THE STAGE OF AN OPERA HOUSE.KATHERINA CAVALIERI singing on stage
The audience applauds wildly.


OLD SALIERI
Well?

VOGLER
I regret it is not too familiar.


(Taking his hands off the keys)


OLD SALIERI
Can you recall no melody of mine? I was the most famous composer in Europe.
I wrote forty operas alone. Here, What about this?


He plays the opening measure of Mozart's Eine Kleine . The priest nods, smiling suddenly, and hums a little with the music.


VOGLER
Oh, I know that! That's charming! I didn't know you wrote that.

OLD SALIERI
I didn't. That was Mozart. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

The brilliant Turkish finale of Seraglio bursts over us.

OLD SALIERI
He was murdered, Father!
Mozart! Cruelly murdered

VOGLER
Almost whispering) Yes? Did you do it?

OLD SALIERI
Ah - you've heard that?

VOGLER
All Vienna has heard that.

OLD SALIERI
(Eagerly)
And do they believe it?

VOGLER
Is it true?


OLD SALIERI
Do you believe it?

VOGLER
Should I?

OLD SALIERI
Do you believe it?

A very long pause. Suddenly Old Salieri turns to him, a look of extreme innocence.

OLD SALIERI
He was my idol! I can't remember a
time when I didn't know his name!
When I was only fourteen he was
already famous. - I knew of him.

OLD SALIERI (V.O.)

I admit I was jealous when I heard the tales they told about him. Not of the brilliant little prodigy himself, but of his father, who had taught him everything.

My father did not care for music. He wanted me only to be a merchant, like himself. As anonymous as he was. When I told how I wished I could be like Mozart, he would say, Why? Do you want to be a trained monkey? Would you like me to drag you around Europe doing tricks like a circus freak? How could I tell him what music meant to me?

One day he came to Vienna to play
some of his music at the residence
of his employer, the Prince-Archbishop
of Salzburg. Eagerly I went there to
seek him out. That night changed my
life.

That night changed my life!

A clock outside strikes three

SALIERI
I can see you almost in your ranks – waiting for your turn to live.
‘Ghosts of the future’. Be visible. I beg you.
Come to this dusty old room and be my confessors.
Will you enter this place and stay with me till dawn.
Let me try to conjure you now. ‘Ghosts of the distant future’

Singing
Ghosts of the future
Shades of time to come
So much more unavoidable than those of time gone by
Appear with what sympathy incarnation may endow you
Appear you
The yet to be born
The yet to hate
Appear …..Posterity….

No comments: