Scene 10

Scene 10

MOZART'S APARTMENT

MOZART is very much in his own world of composition and we hear a knocking at the door.

CONSTANZE
(Outside the door)
Wolfi! Wolfi!

The music breaks off.

MOZART
What is it?

CONSTANZE
There's a young girl to see you.

MOZART
What does she want?

CONSTANZE
I don't know.

MOZART
Well, ask her!

CONSTANZE
She won't talk to me. She says she has to speak to you.

MOZART
Oh, damn!

Lorl, the maid we noticed in Salieri's house.

MOZART
Yes?

LORL
Are you Herr Mozart?

MOZART
That's right.

LORL
My name is Lorl, sir. I'm a maidservant. I was asked to come
here and offer my services to you.

MOZART
What?

LORL
They'll be paid for by a great admirer of yours who wishes to remain anon -
anonymous.

CONSTANZE
What do you mean? What admirer?

LORL
I can't tell you that, ma'am.

MOZART
Are you saying that someone is paying you to be our maid and doesn't want
us to know who he is?


LORL
Yes. I can live in or out just as you wish.

Mozart turns to his father.

MOZART
Papa, is this your idea?

LEOPOLD
Mine?

MOZART
Are you playing a trick on me?

LEOPOLD
I never saw this girl in my life.
(To Lorl)
Is this a kind of joke?
LORL
Not at all, sir. And I was told to wait for an answer.

LEOPOLD
Young woman, this won't do at all.
My son can't possibly accept such an offer, no matter how generous,
Unless he knows who is behind it.

LORL
But I really can't tell you, sir.

LEOPOLD
Oh, this is ridiculous.

CONSTANZE
What is ridiculous? Wolfi has many admirers in Vienna. They love him
here. People send us gifts all the time.

LEOPOLD
But you can't take her without reference. It's unheard of!

CONSTANZE
Well, this is none of your business.
(To Lorl)
Whoever sent you is going to pay,no?

LORL
That's right, ma'am.

LEOPOLD
So now we are going to let a perfect stranger into the house?
Constanze looks furiously at him, then at Lorl.

CONSTANZE
Who is we? Who is letting who?
(To Lorl)
Could you please wait outside?

LORL
Yes, ma'am.

Lorl goes outside and closes the door. Constanze turns on Leopold.

CONSTANZE
Look, old man, you stay out of this.
We spend a fortune on you, more than we can possibly afford,
and all you do is criticize, morning to night.
And then you think you can -

MOZART
Stanzi!

CONSTANZE
No, it's right he should hear. I'm sick to death of it. We can't do
anything right for you, can we?


LEOPOLD
Never mind. You won't have to do anything for me ever again. I'm
leaving!

MOZART
Papa!

LEOPOLD
Don't worry, I'm not staying here to be a burden.

MOZART
No one calls you that.

LEOPOLD
She does. She says I sleep all day.

CONSTANZE
And so you do! The only time you come out is to eat.

LEOPOLD
And what do you expect? Who wants to walk out into a mess like this every
day?

CONSTANZE
Oh, now I'm a bad housekeeper!

LEOPOLD
So you are! The place is a pigsty all the time.

CONSTANZE
(To Mozart)
Do you hear him? Do you?

Explosively she opens the door.

CONSTANZE
(to Lorl)
When can you start?

LORL
Right away, ma'am.

CONSTANZE
Good! Come in. You'll start with that room there.

(Indicating Leopold's room)
It's filthy!
She leads the maid into Leopold's room.

MOZART
Stancy you are too much.

CONSTANZE
Well, I'm not borrowing any more money from my mother,
and that's that!

MOZART
You borrowed money from your mother?

CONSTANZE
Yes!

MOZART
Well, don't do that again!

CONSTANZE
How are we going to live, Wolfi?
Do you want me to go into the streets and beg?

MOZART
Don't be stupid.

CONSTANZE
What's wrong with that?

MOZART
Shut up! Just shut up!

She glares at him, almost in tears.

He looks up the stairs, a menacing figure in a long, grey cape and dark grey hat,
standing on the landing. The light comes from behind the figure so that we see only its silhouette as it unfolds its arms towards Mozart in an alarming gesture of possession.

MOZART
Papa! PAPA!

Both men embrace. The music slowly fades.


LEOPOLD
Sorry, sorry! I'm sorry I spoke!
I'm just a provincial from Salzburg.
What do I know about smart Vienna?
Parties all night, every night.
Dancing and drinking like idiot children!

MOZART
Papa! PAPA

LEOPOLD (O.S.)
Dinner at eight! Dinner at ten! Dinner when anyone feels like it!
If anyone feels like it!

LEOPOLD
No, please! This is ridiculous!
No, please!

MOZART
This is just a game, Papa.

LEOPOLD
I'm tired of this game.

MOZART
Why don't you name your son's penalty?
Yes, Papa, name it. Name it.
I'll do anything you say!

LEOPOLD
I want you to come back with me to
Salzburg, my son.

Giggling, he turns around and sits at the keyboard.

No comments: