Scene 16

INT. SALIERI'S SALON - DAY -

A frightened and tearful Lorl sits before Salieri.

SALIERI
Now calm yourself. Calm. What's the
matter with you?

LORL
I'm leaving. I'm not working there
anymore. I'm scared!

SALIERI
Why? What has happened?

LORL
You don't know what it's like. Herr
Mozart frightens me. He drinks all
day, then takes all that medicine
and it makes him worse.

SALIERI
What medicine?

LORL
I don't know. He has pains.

SALIERI
Where?

LORL
Here, in his stomach. They bend him
right over.

SALIERI
Is he working?

LORL
I'm frightened, sir. Really! When he
speaks, he doesn't make any sense.
You know he said he saw - he said he
saw his father. And his father's
dead.

SALIERI
Is he working?

LORL
I suppose so. He sits there all the
time, doing some silly opera.

SALIERI
(Startled)
Opera? Opera!

LORL
Please don't ask me to go back again.
I'm frightened! I'm very, very
frightened.

SALIERI
(Insistently)
Are you sure it's an opera?

The Overture to The Magic Flute begins grandly.

No comments: